Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 2006 10:04:56 -0400
From:      Vivek Khera <vivek@khera.org>
To:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD unstable on Dell 1750 using SMP?

On Apr 4, 2006, at 4:37 AM, Rutger Bevaart wrote:

> I'm completely at a loss, and inclined to remove FreeBSD and
> install "another OS" as it is an important management machine for
> us, that reboots about monthly.
>
> Any clues, tips, help, know bugs?

Either bad hardware or pilot error.  Here's some stats for you:

[morebiz]% grep DELL /var/run/dmesg.boot
ACPI APIC Table: <DELL   PE1750  >
acpi0: <DELL PE1750> on motherboard
[morebiz]% sysctl kern.boottime
kern.boottime: { sec = 1130521993, usec = 140021 } Fri Oct 28
13:53:13 2005
[morebiz]% date
Tue Apr  4 09:58:18 EDT 2006
[morebiz]% uptime
9:58AM  up 157 days, 20:05, 1 user, load averages: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
[morebiz]% uname -r
5.4-RELEASE-p8

This machine runs two instances of apache on two IPs, a postgres
server and a mysql server to run a few different web sites.  It gets
a fair number of hits, many of which hit the dbs.  I run with
hyperthreading enabled, but when I next upgrade this box to 6.1, I
will turn it off.

I don't have any 2850's but the one 1850 I have has been 100% stable
since it went into production last october running FreeBSD 6.0.  I'd
buy it again in a heartbeat.

Are you sure your electrical power is stable?