Date:      Thu, 4 Apr 2002 08:20:44 -0800
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Anti-Unix Site Runs Unix

--+HP7ph2BbKc20aGI

On Thu, Apr 04, 2002 at 01:59:17AM -0800, William Carrel wrote:
>=20
> A) Microsoft hires mainly smart people
>=20
> B) Microsoft develops software in a kit-bash sort of manner without=20
> adequate testing, documentation, and communication between teams
>=20
> C) People who write code in a professional manner often quit working for=
=20
> Microsoft
>=20
> I will add a fact that I think should be hard to argue against:
>=20
> D) People who write code in a professional manner are smart.
>=20
> Either A is false and B, C, and D are true.  Or, B and C are false. =20
> Since I have personally witnessed that C is true and I've heard quite a=
=20
> bit of anecdotal evidence of B from current and former Microsoft=20
> employees, I'm led to believe that A is false.  In any case there is a=20
> fallacy of inconsistency in your argument.

There's a rather significant fallacy in your argument.  What you write
for D is "if people write code in a professional manner, then they are
smart."  That's probably generally true.  What you implied you said in
the last paragraph is "if someone is smart, then they write code in a
professional manner" which is absolutly, positivity, beyond any shadow
of a doubt, FALSE.  I know, I work with code written by scientists.

-- Brooks

--=20

--+HP7ph2BbKc20aGI

--+HP7ph2BbKc20aGI--