Date:      Sun, 14 Apr 2002 10:22:40 -0400
From:      "Sandro Mancuso" <sandromancuso@hotmail.com>
To:        "'Benjamin Krueger'" <benjamin@macguire.net>, "'Bob Bomar'" <bulldog@fxp.org>
Cc:        "'James Long'" <list@ns.museum.rain.com>, <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: overclocking and freebsd

Wouldn't all this come down to the same things as usual? Cooling.  I
also think the problem isn't so much the cpu, but upping the speed on
the system bus.  You're speeding up everything, not just the CPU if you
increase the multiplier.  I have a box running freebsd 4.5 stable that
has a few services running, and I toy with it regularly.  Were it not
for my STUPID idea to start using a KVM switch (You all know how much
FreeBSD likes those eh?) I had a 60+ day uptime going on it.  It's an
AMD K62-450... running at 550 mhz.  Massive cooling on the cpu of
course, because for those that don't know, These CPU's didn't take well
to overclocking - unfortunate, as they are very fast, and they weren't
locked.  People that use the box are very impressed with its compile
speed.  I haven't ever had a problem with it.  By the way, when I
overclocked this machine on Windows 2000 pro, it wouldn't last more than
30-35 minutes.

Moral of the story: It all depends on how its overclocked.  Obviously
with newer CPU's this isn't nearly as easy...