Date:      Tue, 25 Jul 2000 14:26:52 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
From:      Chris BeHanna <behanna@mail.yourfit.com>
To:        John Reynolds~ <jreynold@sedona.ch.intel.com>
Cc:        Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.1-RELEASE will be tagged and done tonite, starting at 18:00 PDT

On Tue, 25 Jul 2000, John Reynolds~ wrote:

> [ On Tuesday, July 25, Chris BeHanna wrote: ]
> > On Tue, 25 Jul 2000, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> >
> >     2.  VMWare does not compile.  It fails in vmnet, tripping over
> >         the altered signature to ether_ifattach() in the
> >         newly-committed /src/sys/net/if_var.h.  If you look at the
> >         diff, you'll see that an extra int parameter has been added.
> >
> >     I don't think that either of these are showstoppers, but item #2
> > is rather troubling to those people who use VMWare heavily--especially
> > when they're beset by those lost souls who push Linux all the
> > time.  :-(
> >
> >     I have not yet filed a PR for the VMWare problem.  I thought I
> > might try to cook up a patch first, if I can find some time.
>
> Which version of VMWare?

    Both of whatever were in ports/vmware and ports/vmware2 as of
7/19/2000.

> I CVSup'ed RELENG_4 and the ports last night (and rebuilt and installed world
> and kernels) and I can confirm that I -CAN- build VMWare. The port was updated
> to vmware2-2.0.2.621 from vmware2-2.0.1.570 and I don't have any troubles
> building the KLDs.

    I guess this was fixed between 570 and 621, then.  I'll try a
cvsup and report back.

> Can't comment on the GIMP compile though ...

    It's pretty unfortunate.  GIMP is a helluva nice program.  Once
I get VMWare up (to keep the wife happy), I can do a little digging
in the gnomelib source.

Thanks muchly,
--
Chris BeHanna