Date:      Thu, 08 Jan 2015 09:58:42 -0600
From:      Graham Allan <allan@physics.umn.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        mexas@bris.ac.uk
Subject:   Re: fibre disk detected before local disk

Yes, we've run into this on various Dell servers where an addin fiber
HBA would become the "first controller" ahead of the internal drives.
You can hard-wire the controllers in /boot/device.hints

For example if your FC HBA is some qlogic (isp) device you can force
your onboard mpt to be scsi bus 0 with:

hint.scbus.0.at="mpt0"

We also had cases where the FC HBA was also mpt (I don't use these any
more, isp works much better!), so needed to use something like this to
force onboard to bus 0:

hint.scbus.0.at="mpt2"

Hope this helps,

Graham