Date:      Wed, 2 Jan 2002 16:46:38 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MOTD -- Warning banners

On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 04:37:45PM +0100, Oliver Fromme wrote:
> Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk> wrote:
>  > On Wed, 2 Jan 2002, Cliff Sarginson wrote:
>  > > Any way if he does
>  > > # cd /
>  > > # rm -rf *
>  > >
>  > > Recording it isn't going to be much of a comfort.
>  >
>  > That's what securelevels (and/or remote loghosts) are for.
>
> Furthermore, you can also log to a remote system, so the
> attacker would have to find and hack that one, too, in order
> to remove all traces.
>
> Finally, if you're _really_ paranoid, you can copy syslog
> onto a hardcopy printer.  One of those fast dotpin line
> printers, so you can easily detect a DoS attack by the
> increased noise level.  ;-)
>
> Regards
>    Oliver

Glad to see *some* people have a sense of humour :)

I worked somewhere once where we had a login banner that said

"Unauthorized access to this machine is punishable by law"

(Which it probably was, since it was a government department)

In a moment of childish naughtyness I changed this (selectively) to say

"Unauthorized access to this machine is punishable by death"

It was a long time before anyone noticed.

--
Regards
Cliff