Date:      Thu, 15 Feb 96 02:25:41 EST
From:      jay@map.com (Roland Jay Roberts)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Subject:   Re: compatible printers

On Tue, 13 Feb 1996 12:57:46 -0800 (PST) you wrote:

>> ghostscript driver is supported. Newer printers like EPSON stylus
>> are supported by ghostscript 3.51 which is in the FreeBSD
>
>While this one is up again, I have a friend with an Epson Stylus COLOR.
>We pulled off that port and the Stylus drivers are *NOT* in there.

While they might not be compiled in, they *are* available if you
re-compile Ghostscript.  Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to work
properly, as GhostScript either (a) Bombed when using the ESC2P
driver, or (b) spat lots of blank pages out when using the Stylus
Color Driver.

Still haven't tried a few things to get it working (Alladin's OS/2
Ghostscript compile works just fine), but it's been annoying me for
over a month, especially since I can do a lpr manpage.1 and get a
wonderful printout on my HP Deskjet 540.

Don't know if I mentioned it before or not, but MagicFilter (a "Linux"
package) works quite well under BSD.  I really ought to e-mail the
author and see if he'll consider putting in the effort to make it a
BSD port as well.

// Roland Jay Roberts  -  Team OS/2  -   |  ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_
// Internet: jay@map.com                 |       |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'
// FidoNet: Roland Roberts @ 1:321/305.5 |      '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)