Date:      Mon, 17 Jun 2002 14:26:07 -0400
From:      "Tommie \"TJ\" Fitzgerald, Jr." <mercury12@myrealbox.com>
To:        "Mark Filipak" <filipak@mrincubator.org>
Cc:        "FreeBSD-Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: yet another 4.6 install question

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Filipak" <filipak@mrincubator.org>
To: "Tommie "TJ" Fitzgerald, Jr." <mercury12@myrealbox.com>
Sent: Monday, June 17, 2002 3:50 AM

> "Tommie \"TJ\" Fitzgerald, Jr." wrote:
> >
> > I just downloaded the FreeBSD disc 1 iso and made an install disc with
> > it. The md5 sum for the file was correct.  I am trying to install on
> > an Emachine w/ a AMD-K6 333 and 96(?) megs RAM.  I have the boot order
> > set to floppy, cdrom, hd1.  The first time I booted it read the cd but
> > kept going and booted into Windows 98.  So I deleted all the
> > partitions on the hd from a boot floppy, and then when I tried to boot
> > from the install cd I got this:
> >
> > 002 : NO ROM BASIC
> > 001 : SYSTEM HALTED
>
> Your system could not boot from the CD. This is probably because you
> didn't really make a bootable CD. Have you ever made a bootable CD from
> an ISO image before?
>
> Ciao -- Mark
>

> > This is my first experience with FreeBSD (I've been waiting for 4.6 to
come
> > out), so I know next to nothing.
> >
> > Tommie Fitzgerald

I'm not sure.  It's actually working now.  The first CD I made was on a
cd-rw, so I thought that might be the prob, but the second, on a  regular
cd-r, did the same thing.  So I used my Win98 boot disk to start and fdisked
and formatted the hard drive, and after doing that it worked.  Why is that?
Was th MBR perhaps damaged?

TF