Date:      Wed, 01 Apr 2015 09:47:48 -0700
From:      Paul Vixie <paul@redbarn.org>
To:        Udo Rader <listudo@bestsolution.at>
Cc:        freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: available hypervisors in FreeBSD

Udo Rader wrote:

> Raw disks are fine with us as we do not overprovision storage (at least
> not yet).

nfs, with the server running zfs "raid10", and the guest as an nfs client, using the "bridge" network, is as fast for normal file i/o (like un-tarring a big file) as native zfs on the server, and is as fast as "ufs" on the client using raw "zvol" from the server. so you have choices, and none of them are non-performant.

> [guests.redbarn:amd64] cat /etc/fstab # Device Mountpoint FStype
> Options Dump Pass# /dev/vtbd0p3 / ufs rw 1 1 mm1:/zroot1/guesthomes
> /zroot1/guesthomes nfs rw,noinet4 0 0

and:

--
Paul Vixie