Date:      Tue, 03 Oct 2000 13:37:30 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: politeness

At 01:15 PM 10/3/2000, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

>*I* don't demand that you be silenced, I just ignore twits like you.

If you absolutely can't bear to read what I have to say, perhaps it
would be better if you were true to your word and actually did ignore
me. However, I would hope that you would have enough of a stomach to
be able to read the occasional opinion which is different from yours.

>Let me try to explain this very slowly again:
>
>An ever increasing number of people *do* ask for you to be banned
>and/or filtered.

Other than one flamer, you are the only one who is asking. Worse still,
you are going further and making threats. As I have already said,
this is inappropriate behavior for someone who claims to be worthy
of a leadership position.

>At some point they reach critical mass, then my position, will
>change from:
>        "Can't you guys just ignore him ?"
>to:
>        "OK, we can't have Brett destroying the fabric of the project".

Eeek! Horrors! By posting two or three messages you don't like, I
am surely "destroying the fabric of the project!" Run for the hills!
Install the censorware! Get the iodine! Get the disinfectant! ;-)

Clearly you must think that fabric to be much weaker than most of us
do. So weak that it can tolerate neither spirited discussion nor
varying points of view.

What's more, your irritation at me appears to have arisen from a
discussion which branched off as a TANGENT from one message I wrote.
In short, you're attempting to use me as a scapegoat.

>If you finally figured out what is being said here, I would expect
>it to be enough to start introspective thought processes in you,
>(but so far I se absolutely no signs of such activity).

My messages on the FreeBSD lists are motivated by a desire to advance
the project and promote the use of its software. If I make a
technical mistake (and who doesn't?), I admit it and do not claim
to be infallible or omniscient.

Your messages, at least lately, appear to be motivated by spite and
personal venom. Perhaps YOU are the one should engage in introspection,
as you are not leaving folks with a good impression of yourself at all.

--Brett Glass