Date:      Fri, 23 Apr 1999 18:33:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Daniel J. Frasnelli" <dfrasnel@csee.wvu.edu>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Rich Payne <rdp@talisman.alphalinux.org>, Alpha List <alpha@freebsd.org>
Subject:   EBSDK discussion

> Grumble.  That's quite unfortunate. :(  Thanks for letting me know,
> in any case.
	Basically, you will notice that the AlphaBIOS firmware strongly
resembles dosshell or early versions of Windows, depending on how
you look at it.  Obviously MS provided some information for
interfacing with an NT boot loader, but it makes one wonder if
most of DEC's technology licensing fees were for that ol 'look and
feel' of an MS product.

> EBSDK?  I'm afraid I don't know the term - is this a fancier name for
> ARC, or are we talking about ARC and AlphaBIOS in the same breath in
> paragragh 1?  I only know of 3 BIOS alternatives, that being
	I am sure Rich will correct me if I am wrong, but the
EBSDK is the Evaluation Board Software Development Kit.  An
evaluation board (EB) from DEC is just like a prototyping board
from any other workstation vendor - something to let developers
and ISV's get started on system development pre-production.
	With few exceptions (again, seak up here Rich :)
an evaluation board retains compatibility with firmware on
production systems like the 300XL, PWS (Miata), etc.

> ARC/AlphaBIOS and SRM, and since we already support SRM that basically
> leaves the other two (one?  I'm not sure if ARC is deprecated) as
	ARC is still the only alternative on systems like the
Jenson and Multia, as I recall.  And as everyone knows, those suckers are
flying around all over the used workstation market right now.

> targets.  This is especially painful in light of the Samsung decision
> to go with AlphaBIOS on its newer boards.
	Microsoft talks, big companies snap to attention.  Sorry,
had to point that out :)

> If EBSDK would indeed be of some help here, do you have a part number?
> I dread just cold-calling 1-800-Digital and navigating the PBX maze
> without a map. :)
	(perks up) Hmm? Somebody say they want PBX schemats? :)
---
 Daniel J. Frasnelli                    INFOSEC analyst and cryptographer
  He who wonders discovers that this in itself is wonder. -- M.C. Escher