Date:      Wed, 6 Jun 2001 19:46:34 -0500
From:      "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy@veldy.net>
To:        "Gordon Tetlow" <gordont@bluemtn.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: IPFilter licence update

> I removed Darren from the CC list as I don't think he really needs to be
> in on this discussion....
>

> <abestos_suit>
> It's not released under a BSD license because he doesn't want to. His
> perogative. We have some much more restrictive licenses (ie GPL) in the
> base OS and no one complains about them.
> </abestos_suit>
>
> There, that's all I have to say about the topic. I'll go back to lurking.

I agree, it is his perogative.  I am glad he wrote it.   It is excellent
software.  However, he is making a choice and other people don't have to
like it, based on sound OpenSource criteria (which he never claimed IPFilter
was).  He can not expect anybody else to feel that it is OK to have non-open
software incorporated into the base system of an open OS.  I say open the
source up completely under the BSD or equivalent license (as released in the
FreeBSD OS) or remove it from the base OS.

Tom Veldhouse
veldy@veldy.net