Date:      03 Jan 2001 03:17:10 +0100
From:      Kent Boortz <kent@erix.ericsson.se>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kodak DC3200 Digital Camera

I use a Canon Digital IXUS and just got it to work (a bit unstable). I
have tested with two different software packages with FreeBSD
4.2-STABLE #0

   ghoto2  Under development, http://www.gphoto.org/gphoto2/
   s10sh   Canon specific, http://www.kyuzz.org/antirez/s10sh.html

There is also the old gphoto that can be build from the ports
collection "/usr/ports/graphics/gphoto/", http://www.gphoto.org/. None
of the mentioned packages seem to support Kodak DC3200 at the moment.

Note that if the camera only connects to USB then you may have more
problems. The USB support in FreeBSD is under development.

kent

*******

Notes for other Canon Digital IXUS owners that have problems to make
it work. This may all be the wrong way, feel free to correct me.

  # Create and go to a directory /usr/local/src
  # Get libusb

  cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.libusb.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/libusb login
  (press enter when prompted for a password)
  cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.libusb.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/libusb \
          -z3 co libusb

  # Get libgpio and gphoto2

  cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.gphoto.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/gphoto login
  (press enter when prompted for a password)
  cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.gphoto.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/gphoto \
          -z3 co libgpio
  cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.gphoto.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/gphoto \
          -z3 co gphoto2

  # Remove "konica" from "gphoto2/camlibs/Makefile"
  #

  cd libusb
  ./autogen
  make
  make install
  cd ..

  cd libgpio
  ./autogen
  make
  make install
  cd ..

  cd gphoto2
  ./autogen --disable-nls
  make
  make install
  cd ..

You need the following lines in your kernel specification

  device          usb             # USB Bus (required)
  device          ugen            # Generic

or you can load "ugen" as a kernel module. My entry in
"/etc/usbd.conf" looks like

  device "DIGITAL IXUS, Canon Inc."
          product 0x3047
          vendor  0x04a9
          release 0x0001
          attach "if ! kldstat -n ugen > /dev/null 2>&1 ; then kldload ugen; fi"

You enable USB in "/etc/rc.conf" by adding the line

  usbd_enable="YES"        # Run the usbd daemon.

but the first time, start the usb daemon manualy with debugging

  % usbd -dv

Verify that the product and vendor looks ok and that you get
"attach" and "detach" events when you set your camera on or off.

To build the "s10sh" program I had to make sure the right library and
header files was used. Unfortunately there seem to be some conflicts
with the "libusb" I get with CVS above and the "libusb" that comes with
FreeBSD. Remove the directory "s10sh-0.1.9/libusb-0.1.1" and change the
line in the file "s10sh-0.1.9/usb.h"

  #include "libusb/usb.h"

  #include "/usr/local/include/usb.h"

After you have run "configure", edit the Makefile so that LIBS is set

  LIBS=-lreadline -ltermcap /usr/local/lib/libusb.a