Date:      Fri, 21 Mar 2008 00:49:05 +0100
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        pav@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Utility for safe updating of ports in base system

Pav Lucistnik wrote:
> Kris Kennaway píše v čt 20. 03. 2008 v 23:51 +0100:
>
>>> A user pointed out to me that on the project ideas page the following
>>> entry remains:
>>>
>>> Write a new utility for the pkg_install suite, possibly named
>>> pkg_upgrade(1), implementing a subset of existing portupgrade
>>> functionality. The required functionality is:
>> FWIW, I have no idea why this is on the project list.  I suspect it was
>> added by someone without any consensus that it's a good idea.
>
> That was me, a year ago.
>
>> We have several upgrade tools in ports, and that is where they belong.
>> Any effort should be spent on improving existing tools, unless you can
>> make a really good case why they are fundamentally flawed and need to be
>> rewritten from scratch, discarding all of the previous work on them.
>
> Since then portmaster matured, so we might think about removing the item
> from Ideas list.
>
> I can't agree with you that the upgrading utilities have to stay in
> ports. I'd very much like to see one of them be present in the base.

Well as I said, no consensus :)

In the past we've even talked about how to move all of pkg_* out of src
and into ports, i.e. the opposite case.

Having new pkg_tools features deployed globally across all branches at
once will solve a lot of problems to do with being able to make use of
new features now instead of having to wait N years until every currently
supported release is deprecated.

Kris