Date:      Wed, 23 Jul 1997 19:14:11 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Penisoara Adrian <ady@warp.starnets.ro>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: troubles with SCSI controller adaptec 2940AU

Hi,

> From: Stratos Paschos <stratos@medusa.cs.uoi.gr>
> Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 14:54:09 +0300 (EEST)
> Subject: Re: troubles with SCSI controller adaptec 2940AU
>
> > Howdy!
> >
> > I got a 2.2.2-RELEASE box with a Adaptec 2940AU PCI SCSI controller,
> > connected to a Quantum Fireball HD.
> > I'm using kernel.GENERIC, and a TYAN motherboard (more specs if needed,
> > since I haven't the machine here now).
> > If I do a cold boot (I mean with the power switch) the BIOS sees the adaptec
> > and I can boot from the hd (I installed FreeBSD on it :-),
> > but if I do a warm boot (eg with "reboot") the bios doesn't sees the
> > controller and I can't boot.

[...]
> I had the same problem with the _same_ controller and the _same_
> Adaptec BIOS version.
>
> Someone from a local store told me that this BIOS has
> some problems with some motherboards.
>
> I solved the problem by replacing the Adaptec BIOS by a newer
> (ver 1.40 I think).
>
> - -----
> Stratos Paschos

Same motherboard / SCSI controller / harddisk
This is the same problem I had once in a while...

***Try enabling Plug-n-Play SCAM support from SCSI Select Utilities !!***

This probably comes from Adaptec AHA2940AU + Quantum harddisk combination,
though I'm only guessing... almost sure that the AHA controller is the
mainly cause.

 Ady (@warp.starnets.ro)