Date:      Mon, 30 Jul 2001 08:17:43 -0500
From:      "Jason J. Orloff" <jjorloff@yahoo.com>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Hang on Mounting Hard Drive during Install

Hi-

I have been trying to install FreeBSD 4.2 on a 30.7 GB Western Digital Drive
Serial# WMA6W1002163 Model# WD307BB. My problem is that FreeBSD seems to
double the size to a 60GB drive as shown in FDISK during the Install. I
changed the drive geometry to 16383x16x63 but the minimal install with
automatic space usage and automatic partitioning still seems to hang on
<Doing newfs -b 8192 -f 1024 /mnt/dev/ad0s1f>. I also tried starting with a
small DOS partition as suggested on Page 101, "Installation Problems: Can't
find correct geometry" in the 3rd edition of the "The Complete FreeBSD", but
it still hung.

Any ideas?

Jason