Date:      Tue, 01 Mar 2005 21:28:54 -0700
From:      Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org>
To:        David Yeske <dyeske@yahoo.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: smbfs install option for sysinstall

David Yeske wrote:
> I modified the installer a while back to be able to install from a smb share.
> It needs a little work though.  I'm looking for some feedback although I have
> tested it recently.  I have done a recent install from a Windows XP machine
> joined to a domain using a share that had domain admin credentials.
>
> http://futurebsd.sourceforge.net/freebsd/smbfs/
>
> Here are a couple of issues that should be fixed.
>
> 1. I am not sure how to get the smbfs kernel support into the installer without
> also putting it into the GENERIC kernel of the release.

Probably not a big deal, unless it presents a security risk by default.
  I don't know enough about smbfs to say.

> 2. If a user uses is prompted for a password, then the output will make
> sysinstall look kinda funny, although the user can enter the password properly.
>  There is probably a way to intercept the stdin and stdout of mount_smbfs and
> have it display in a menu?  This should work similar to the root password
> change option?

Probably easiest to do it this way.  Sysinstall isn't pretty, but making
it uglier with misformatted dialogs isn't good either.

> 3. This may add too much space to the floppy installer?

No longer a problem now that the splitfs support is in.

> 4. The English used in the menus could be better.
>
> Regards,
> David Yeske

Scott