Date:      Thu, 14 Jul 2005 11:25:22 -0500
From:      Guy Helmer <ghelmer@palisadesys.com>
To:        freebsd-threads@freebsd.org
Subject:   system scope threads entering STOP state

I have a long-running multithreaded process on FreeBSD 5.4 (SMP,
PREEMTPION, SCHED_4BSD) linked with libpthread and I'm creating the
threads with attribute PTHREAD_SCOPE_SYSTEM.  The threads need to be
processing input in near-real-time or its input buffers overflow.

I've modified the program so that a thread can fork/execl/waitpid
(without WNOHANG) to use an external program for further processing on a
batch of input (sometimes via a pipe, other times via writing to a
file).  However, even under a light input load, the program is now
dropping input.  While running top(1) in thread mode, I occasionally
find all the program's threads are in the STOP state for several
consecutive seconds.  Is there anything related to the frequent use of
fork, execve, or wait4 that would be likely to cause such a situation?
I'm not seeing anything obvious in my reading of the kernel sources.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Guy

--
Guy Helmer, Ph.D.