Date:      Mon, 24 Jul 2006 17:53:03 -0400
From:      "David Stanford" <dthomas53@gmail.com>
To:        "Matthias Fechner" <idefix@fechner.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Simple DNS Configuration

On 7/24/06, Matthias Fechner <idefix@fechner.net> wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> David Stanford wrote:
> > Now it appears to be working correctly and responding to queries,
> however
> > I'm noticing I continue to get that same error when I add my CNAME
> entry:
> > =====
> > @              IN       CNAME    www.example.org.
> > =====
>
> write:
> www     IN      CNAME   example.org.
>

> Best regards,
> Matthias
>
> I've tried everyone's suggestions to no avail. Here's my actual
configuration:

[root@chadwick ~]# /etc/rc.d/named stop
Stopping named.
[root@chadwick ~]# tail -12 /etc/namedb/named.conf

zone "daemonbox.net" {
        type master;
        file "master/daemonbox.net";
};

/*
zone "140.246.66.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file "master/140.246.66.in-addr.arpa";
};
*/
[root@chadwick ~]# cat /etc/namedb/master/daemonbox.net
$TTL 3600        ; 1 hour
daemonbox.net.  IN      SOA     chadwick.daemonbox.net.
dstanford.daemonbox.net. (
                                2006072400      ; Serial
                                1d              ; Refresh
                                2h              ; Retry
                                100d            ; Expire
                                1h )            ; Minimum TTL

; DNS Servers
@               IN      NS      chadwick.daemonbox.net.
@               IN      NS      ns1.nac.net.
@               IN      NS      ns2.nac.net.

; MX Records
                IN      MX 10   mail.daemonbox.net.

; Machine Names
localhost       IN      A       127.0.0.1
chadwick       IN      A       66.246.140.170
mail              IN      A       66.246.246.58
www             IN      A       66.246.140.170
@                IN      A       66.246.140.170

; Aliases
www             IN      CNAME   @
[root@chadwick ~]# /etc/rc.d/named start
Starting named.
[root@chadwick ~]# host -t a daemonbox.net localhost
Using domain server:
Name: localhost
Address: 127.0.0.1#53
Aliases:

Host daemonbox.net not found: 2(SERVFAIL)

Does anyone see anything wrong with this? Thanks for all your help!

-David
--
[root@fbsd ~]# fortune
Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion.