Date:      Mon, 26 Jun 2000 18:55:59 -0600 (MDT)
From:      John Galt <galt@inconnu.isu.edu>
To:        gerti-freebsdq@bitart.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What does the ::1 do in the /etc/hosts sample?

IPv6's localhost (cf 127.0.0.1).  Look at the RFCs for v6 (compiled on
www.6bone.org), www.6bone.net, and the KAME project (www.kame.net) for
starters.

On Mon, 26 Jun 2000, Gerd Knops wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In various files in FreeBSD4, such as the /etc/hosts sample, I see ::1
> constructs. Could someone please point me to where these are
> documented?
>
> Thanks
>
> Gerd

There is an old saying that if a million monkeys typed on a million
keyboards for a million years, eventually all the works of Shakespeare
would be produced.   Now, thanks to Usenet, we know this is not true.