Date:      Thu, 11 Jan 2001 22:00:21 +0000
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.org>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>, bmah@FreeBSD.org, stable@FreeBSD.org, current@FreeBSD.org, Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>
Subject:   Re: sysinstall.8 Breaking buildworld

Crist J. Clark wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 11, 2001 at 11:52:43AM -0800, John Baldwin wrote:
>
>> Erm, many things live in both /stand and other places:
>>
>>> ll /stand/ | wc -l
>>       35
>>> ll /stand/rm /bin/rm
>> -r-xr-xr-x   2 root  wheel   255736 Jan  9 08:17 /bin/rm
>> -r-xr-xr-x  31 root  wheel  1729520 Jul 28 07:32 /stand/rm
>
> I am not clear what you are saying here. Only sysinstall lives in
> /stand,

yeah, but it can be used as many things.  If invoked as "rm" sysinstall
behaves just like the real rm, it happens to be one big binary.

> Well, /stand/rm is not _really_ rm at all, but I get the point. I
> guess the only question is whether to put it in /sbin or /usr/sbin. I
> think /sbin makes sense (so it is bootable), but it is 1.6MB of
> /-bloat... But from another thread about making 250MB the default /
> size, I guess few care too much about that anymore.

I'd prefer it in /usr/sbin, some of my root partitions are only 32MB,
and that's not big enough at the moment.  If your /usr is hosed to
the extent you can't mount it you've probably got more problems than
sysinstall will help you with.  But that's just my opinion.

--
Ben Smithurst / ben@FreeBSD.org / PGP: 0x99392F7D