Date:      Sun, 25 Jan 2004 19:44:34 +0000
From:      Andrew Boothman <andrew@cream.org>
To:        Jason Stone <freebsd-performance@dfmm.org>
Cc:        HarryH <forHarryH@hotmail.com>
Subject:   Re: A good BSD Text Book?

Jason Stone wrote:

>>Can anyone recommend a/some really good BSD (4.8) books/manuals, for not
>>only a BSD beginner, but for someone that will really get into detail in
>>a short time?
>

> _Design and Implementation of the 4.4BSD Operating System_ by McKusick _et
> al_ is wonderful.  It starts out at a level that's easy enough, even if
> you have almost no experience working with a unix kernel, but it goes very
> deep into the kernel internals until you really havea very good
> understanding of the system.
>
> It's somewhat old, but it's still totally relevent, so don't be put off
> just by the age.

Design and Implementation is great, I've got that too, but only if
you're interested in the system's internals - I didn't get that
impression from the OP's message.

Also - I think it's *mostly* relevent not, "totally", relevent. Things
have changed in FreeBSD since those days I think, but the foundations
are still the same and it's all useful information reguardless.

Andrew