Date:      Thu, 25 Mar 1999 15:02:05 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <jeremyp@gsmx07.alcatel.com.au>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ports/10783: ELF emacs 19.34 hangs under X windows

>Number:         10783
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       ELF emacs 19.34 hangs under X windows
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:

	-current from about two weeks ago, the latest emacs 19.34b
	and XFree86 ports.  (The emacs port includes the patch
	mentioned in ports/10782).

	When an ELF emacs is started as an X11 client, emacs opens a
	window and then nothing happens.  ktrace and and xscope show
	emacs is continuously sending GetInputFocus commands to the
	X-server.

	The immediate cause is emacs looping in x_make_frame_visible().
	It is apparently waiting for an input event indicating that
	the window has been mapped.  It expects to get informed of
	this when a signal (presumably SIGIO) invokes XTread_socket().
	The only problem is that I can't find anything to enable SIGIO
	and sigaction(2) is never called.

	This problem does not occur with a 2.x aout emacs running with
	2.x X11 libraries.  (Although I don't have an aout debugger to
	follow the control flow).

>How-To-Repeat:

	cd /usr/ports/editors/emacs
	make