Date:      Mon, 13 Jun 2005 19:58:04 +0100
From:      Alex Zbyslaw <xfb52@dial.pipex.com>
To:        Philip Hallstrom <freebsd@philip.pjkh.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: system cloning

Philip Hallstrom wrote:

>>> I have a system that we are running in production that there was an
>>> oversight on, and it has a single hard drive installed (32GB SCSI I
>>> believe), rather than a 3 drive raid5 array.  We would like to
>>> correct this, but we have all sorts of up-to-date packages and
>>> config files that we've tweaked that we would hate to just start
>>> over on it.
>>>
>>> There's a tool for OSX called "Carbon Copy Cloner" that would take
>>> care of this for me, which is basically a series of copy commands
>>> that takes the filesystem from one drive to another, preserving
>>> EVERYTHING important, and then bless the boot volume.
>>

>> If you want two more identical drives then use dump, not tar, but
>> you'd have to have them sliced/partitioned up the same beforehand and
>> it wouldn't do bootblocks.
>

> You would?  Why?  restore doesn't care where you're restoring to...
> you'd just need to make sure you were in / before restoring and then
> tweak /etc/fstab to suit...

I understood the question to be how to create two identical *disks* not
two identical directory trees.  So unless the disks were partitioned and
sliced the same before you used dump/restore then you wouldn't end up
with identical disks.  If all you want is two identical directory trees,
then slicing and partitioning are irrelevant.

--Alex