Date:      Mon, 18 Sep 1995 08:22:50 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      hm@altona.hamburg.com (Hellmuth Michaelis)
To:        wsantee@wsantee.oz.net (Wes Santee)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xdm with pcvt

>From the keyboard of Wes Santee:

> I'm trying to keep an xdm session open on screen 4 at all times so I
> don't have to keep starting X whenever I login.  However, I don't want
> the xdm login screen to be the default since I usually prefer
> character mode screens.
>
> I'm using the pcvt console driver and in rc.local I'm doing this:
>
>   /usr/sbin/scon -c 3		# go to screen 4
>   /usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -daemon	# fire up xdm
>   sleep 10			# give xdm some time to start
>   /usr/sbin/scon -c 0		# come back to preferred login screen
>
> When I reboot, I see xdm start, come up with the graphical login, then
> switch back to screen 1.  However, if I hit CTRL+ALT+F4, the xdm
> screen is gone and I'm met with just a blank (character mode) screen.

Hmm - I'm doing this all the time with 2.0.5.

Did you disable the getty for the corresponding screen in /etc/ttys ?

You need a configuration for xdm in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers similar
to this (from my system):

	:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X vt8

My (part of) rc.local looks like this for starting xdm at boot time on
screen 8:

[....]

# path for xdm (X11R6)
XDMP=/usr/X11R6/bin
# path for xdm (X11R5)
#XDMP=/usr/X386/bin

# set to YES to start xdm on screen 8
xdm_start=YES
#xdm_start=NO

[....]

#--------------------------------------------------
# if desired, start xdm on screen 8
#--------------------------------------------------

    if [ X${xdm_start} = X"YES" -a -x $XDMP/xdm ]
    then
      $SCONP/scon -d /dev/ttyv7
      $XDMP/xdm
      sleep 10