Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2006 15:20:26 +0100 (BST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Krassimir Slavchev <krassi@bulinfo.net>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unable to generate random numbers?

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006, Krassimir Slavchev wrote:

> When I try to generate random bytes using rand() or random() functions I
> found that these functions return constant values!?

Sounds pretty odd -- even if not explicitly seeded, you should be getting
something pseudo-random, even if what you get is deterministic.  Are you
calling srandomdev() before invoking random()?  Are you definitely using the
result of invoking random() and not using the function pointer for random(),
which will be constant?

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge