Date:      Mon, 4 Oct 2004 16:26:45 -0600
From:      Nathan Kinkade <nkinkade@fastmail.fm>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   netstat 'Ierrs' - meaning and possible causes

--jiz6jV+gGMQoj4lW

I have got a particular machine on our network that is seeing a very
high rate of 'Ierrs' when viewing network interface stats with:

$ netstat -i

What possible type of errors comprise 'Ierrs'?  Here is an example of
the output:

Name Mtu  Network  Address    Ipkts    Ierrs   Opkts    Oerrs  Coll
xl0  1500 <Link#1> <long mac> 92977239 5723973 95001292 0      2070292

According to this, input errors amount to about 6% of the total input
packets.  This number definitely exceeds the level of acceptable errors,
but since I'm not quite sure what Ierrs signifies I'm not sure where to
begin.  Bad hardware or media?  Are Ierrs received packets that are
identifiable by a header, but otherwise mangled?

Thanks,
Nathan
--=20
PGP Public Key: pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=3Dget&search=3D0xD8527E49

--jiz6jV+gGMQoj4lW

--jiz6jV+gGMQoj4lW--