Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 11:21:36 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.org, Udo Erdelhoff <ue@nathan.ruhr.de>, Chris Costello <chris@calldei.com>
Subject:   Re: Translators: Need feedback on FAQ reorganization

On 12-Mar-01 Nik Clayton wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 11, 2001 at 05:46:34PM -0600, Chris Costello wrote:
>> > 2) Please do not use the <name>/chapter.sgml structure of the handbook.
>> >    make is perfectly capable of handling more than one source file in a
>> >    directory. We don't need all those additional subdirectories and they
>> >    make it easier to become lost in the sources. Imaging having 5 or 6
>> >    editor windows (or screens, in my case), all editing "chapter.sgml".
>>
>>    Anybody else have any opinion on this?  Nik?  I was following
>> the Handbook's structure for the sake of continuity.
>
> The Handbook has that structure because I envisage more illustrations
> going in, in per-chapter directories.  Also (at some point) we will have
> the infrastructure to allow people to build the thing at a chapter at a
> time, which can vastly speed up the editing/reading process.
>
> The FAQ does not necessarily have those same constraints -- I don't
> expect it to be too image heavy, for example.

Consistency is good, however.  And let's not limit ourselves here and now and
say that the FAQ will never have images in it.

>> > Now you can start editing/rewording questions. Group your changes into
>> > logical blocks, modify only one file at a time, and commit each block
>> > seperately.
>>
>>    Sounds good to me.  I'm still interested in what everybody
>> else thinks, too, though.  But that sounds pretty logical.
>
> That's basically how I converted the Handbook from LinuxDoc to DocBook.
>
>> > [0] It might be possible to use the "our" repository (i.e. that of the
>> > FreeBSD German Documentation Project) for this purpose. I'll talk to
>> > Alexander Langer (alex@big.endidan.de) about it, it's his box.
>>
>>    Not a problem.  Either a separate branch for the FAQ[0] in the
>> FreeBSD CVS repo itself, or a separate repository on
>> usw4.FreeBSD.org (I already have an account) should also do just
>> nicely.
>
> I like the idea of a branch in the FAQ, because then no one has to do
> anything different to get it -- supfiles will still work, and so on.

A branch is painful.  Since the FAQ shouldn't be broken, there's no reason to
not just do this on HEAD.  The DocBook -> LinuxDoc was a bit different, as in
some of your steps it didn't build, IIRC.  If that was not the case, then it
should've been done in the tree with a checkin at each milestone as it were.

> When the work is finished, and committed to HEAD, it might be possible to
> excise this branch from the repo if it's considered bloat.  Otherwise we
> can live with it.

See, we don't need this extra headache.  Also, the merge to HEAD will be
painful if other changes are committed to the FAQ during the move.  Instead,
commits during the move will be separate events that the translators can just
treat as autonomous little events.  Really, a sidebranch is more headache and
work than this deserves.