Date:      Wed, 27 Feb 2002 07:44:06 +0100
From:      Martin Faxér <gmh003532@brfmasthugget.se>
To:        "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1015203102.21e367@mired.org>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Mplayer with svgalib?

On Tue, 26 Feb 2002 18:51:41 -0600
"Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1015203102.21e367@mired.org> wrote:

> Has anyone managed to get mplayer working with svgalib? How about
> anything working with svgalib? It always seems to fail with "don't
> have a graphics capable console and can't get one". I checked the FAQ,
> and it doesn't work if I run the test utilities that the port doesn't
> install, nor does it work if I run them as root with the console owned
> by root.

SVGALib has worked fine for me on both -STABLE and -CURRENT, utilizing
an S3 Savage4 graphics chipset on both -STABLE and -CURRENT, and an
NVIDIA GeForce2 MX graphics chipset on -CURRENT.

I guess some suggestions would be to make sure that your securelevel
isn't set to anything higher than -1 and that you've got SVGALib
set up correctly in /usr/local/etc/vga/libvga.config.

> I get the feeling there's a kernel option required for this that I've
> not got set.

As far as I know you don't need to set any special kernel options to
get it running...