Date:      Wed, 10 Sep 1997 12:40:41 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Khelbin Sunvold <khelbin@ntplx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD newbie installer...almost ready

On Tue, Sep 09, 1997 at 10:54:24PM -0400, Khelbin Sunvold wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Sep 1997, Greg Lehey wrote:
>
>>> a)   If I find a conflict...what do I do..remove the conflicting
>>> driver/whatever?
>>
>> You mean conflicts in UserConfig?  Mainly, you can ignore them.
>> They're only a problem if they're backed by real hardware.
>>
>>> b) Is it best to remove the drivers etc which don't appear relevant?
>>
>> No.
>>
>>> What if I just leave them?
>>
>> They'll look for the hardware, not find it, and give up.
>
> If you leave drivers you don't need isn't the following true:
>
>    A) The kernel will be larger than necessary

Yes.

>    B) It will take longer to boot the machine

Yes.

>    C) If they are backed by real hardware you can have problems

Yes.

>    D) ep0 may have been buggy and didn't like anything else at I/O
>       0x300???

Yes, there were problems of that nature.

> If so, why leave drivers in that have conflicts when you don't need
> them unless you are just lazy?

No reason.  But I'm lazy too.  If you take the time it takes to build
a new kernel, which involves you too, it will make up for a lot of
slightly longer boot times.  And it will take up *much* more space
than the few kilobytes of excess drivers.

> If you get a new piece of hardware you can just run
> /stand/sysinstall... right?  or wrong?

Sorry, this one's wrong.  You need to build a new kernel.

Greg