Date:      Fri, 02 Jun 2006 20:04:12 -0500
From:      Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@math.missouri.edu>
To:        Culley Harrelson <harrelson@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: p5-Mail-SpamAssassin PERL_LEVEL problem

Culley Harrelson wrote:
> I am using FreeBSD 4.10, trying to upgrade p5-Mail-SpamAssassin.  I am
> triggering this line in the make file:
>
> .if ${PERL_LEVEL} < 500600
> IGNORE= needs perl 5.6.1 or higher, install lang/perl5.8 and try again
> .endif
>
> problem is that I *have* installed lang/perl5.8 and this is still
> getting triggered.  Where is PERL_LEVEL set?  I have tried tweaking my
> path to get /use/bin/perl out of the equation but this has not been
> effective.  Any clues for me?
>
> culley

Here is my guess.  PERL_LEVEL is derived from PERL_VERSION or PERL_VER
which should be set in /etc/make.conf.  But my recollection from my
FreeBSD-4.1 days is that there is some command you are supposed to run -
it has the word perl in it somewhere - that tells your system to use the
ports perl rather than the system perl.  Maybe if you run that, it will
set the appropriate variables in /etc/make.conf.