Date:      Fri, 11 Nov 2005 19:57:15 -0800
From:      Maksim Yevmenkin <maksim.yevmenkin@savvis.net>
To:        freebsd-bluetooth@freebsd.org,  freebsd-rc@freebsd.org
Cc:        past@ebs.gr, "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Subject:   Re: [RFC] rc.d integration for the bluetooth subsystem

Brooks Davis wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 11, 2005 at 04:51:03PM -0700, M. Warner Losh wrote:
>
>>In message: <4375246E.3050303@savvis.net>
>>            Maksim Yevmenkin <maksim.yevmenkin@savvis.net> writes:
>>: does anyone have any objections to the /etc/devd.conf patch located at
>>:
>>: http://people.freebsd.org/~emax/devd.conf.diff.txt
>>:
>>: this patch will add support for a usb bluetooth dongles to devd(8).
>>
>>That looks fine to me.

good. thanks for review. i have committed the patch.

>>: also while i'm here where do we stick firmware files by default?
>>
>>/usr/share seems most logical to me, but suffers from the 'can't load
>>firmware until after /usr is mounted' issue.  For most firmware, this
>>is a minor issue...
>
> It's also not an issue in practice for most installations since /usr is
> local and gets mounted quite early.  It's only when /usr is NFS and not
> part of / that you usually get into trouble.

let me just some more details. in this particular case i'm interested
where to put firmware files for bluetooth devices. in particular

1) 3com bluetooth pccard v1

2) broadcom bcm2033 chip based usb bluetooth devices (belkin, d-link, etc.)

in both cases firmware files are _not_ loadable modules. they are just
files in vendor specific format. tools are provided (bt3cfw(8) and
bcmfw(8)) to load firmware into device.

what i would like to do is to add a couple more sections into the
/etc/devd.conf to handle these devices. those sections can even be
commented out because we cannot include firmware into the distribution.
it is up to the user to find firmware and put it in the right place.

so, should i create /usr/share/firmware directory or just use
/usr/share? is it better to have common place for firmware files or have
each driver/tool define its own place?

thanks,
max