Date:      Mon, 28 Nov 2005 18:51:25 +1100
From:      Antony Mawer <fbsd-questions@mawer.org>
To:        Rechistov Grigory <ggg_mail@inbox.ru>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Reassigning kernel output to another vty

On 28/11/2005 6:29 PM, Rechistov Grigory wrote:
> There are at least 8 virtual terminals by default on FreeBSD, but I
> seldom (to be exact, never) use all of them, mostly the first 3-4. The
> kernel messages and another ones (such programs as su(1) also print
> there time to time) are shown on the first vty. So I often get crazy
> mixture of this stuff, it covers my Midnight Commander's panels till I
> refresh them. I wonder if there's a method to show kernel messages on,
> say, 6th console, logs on 7th etc? Such behaviour is well-known feature
> of many Linux distros and I remember smth similar when installing
> FreeBSD, when messages of packages are shown on 4th vty.

You can easily achieve this by specifying /dev/tty## in the
/etc/syslogd.conf file. For instance, change the line:

*.err;kern.warning;auth.notice;mail.crit                /dev/console

to:

*.err;kern.warning;auth.notice;mail.crit                /dev/ttyv8

Then the message will be directed to the 9th console. Alternatively, you
can disable some of the normal login screens in /etc/ttys and then point
syslog to use one of the newly freed-up ttys.

-Antony