Date:      Thu, 8 Feb 1996 13:17:29 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        ulf@z-code.ncd.com (Ulf Zimmermann)
Cc:        gjennejohn@frt.dec.com, bertus%mikom.csir.co.za@inet-gw-1.pa.dec.com, questions%freebsd.org@inet-gw-1.pa.dec.com
Subject:   Re: ISDN devices supported?

> > A TA is the most flexible solution since the German cards are designed
> > for EuroISDN (the European ISDN standard) and there's no guarantee that
> > they'll work correctly outside of Europe.
>
> This is not quite right anymore. The so called EuroISDN is now DSS-1,
> which is also used by many countries outside europe. I think Japan is
> one of them.

Japanese acceptance or non-acceptance of a standard is not a validation
or invalidation of the standard.  Look at HDTV and Unicode.

In this case, the Euro standards *are* superior, but that is not going
to help the already commited switching systems in the US.  The issue
is the wire protocol, and that's already set in concrete in the US.

Using only adapters with the SGI chipset is one solution to the hardware
compatability problem 9by moving it into software).

The real answer is to disdain ISDN anyway: the reason for it is to
allow metering charges by the Telco's, and that should be discouraged.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.