Date:      Fri, 10 Nov 1995 23:17:38 -0500 (EST)
From:      Barry Masterson <jbarrm@panix.com>
To:        "freebsd.questions" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Details of installing ports

I'm attempting to install procmail, a ported package.  I picked
up the complete contents of the 'ports' directory for procmail
as supplied at  wcarchive.cdrom.com, and have re-created it on
my home system in /usr/ports/mail/procmail/

I obtained the procmail.tar.gz package from:
	ftp.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/pub/packages/procmail
which happens to be procmail-3.10

I exploded procmail.tar.gz in /usr/ports/distfiles/procmail-3.10/

This is the location as listed in the (ports) Makefile:
	MASTER_SITES= ftp://ftp.informatik...............
This (ports) Makefile is looking for 'procmail-3.11.1'

So, my main question is, will it work?  3.11.1  &  3.10

I ran 'make install |& tee procmail.log', and the log said it could
not find 3.11.1.  FreeBSD was also trying to find 3.11 at a few
ftp sites.  In a second attempt, I placed procmail.tar.gz in my
local ftp partition, and edited the (ports) Makefile to look there:

	MASTER_SITES=	ftp://localhost/pub/packages/procmail/

I only have a regular Dial_up unix shell account, so I changed the
MASTER_SITES value to reflect MY ftp site. Should work, right?

If the ports 3.11.1 files Will work with procmail-3.10, should I also
edit the (ports) Makefile, changing the 'PKGNAME=' & 'DISTNAME=' to
represent 3.10 ? PKGNAME & DISTNAME are currently labeled as
procmail-3.11.1  &  procmail-3.11pre1  respectively.

One side note, procmail is not available in:
	wcarchive.cdrom.com:/.3/FreeBSD/incoming

Thats the only 'incoming' I could get into, there was one other,
but I was denied entry.

I'm asking this, the above, as I will no doubt be installing other
ports in the near future.

Thanks,

Barry Masterson
jbarrm@panix.com