Date:      Sat, 24 Nov 2012 13:30:10 -0600
From:      Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
Cc:        attilio@FreeBSD.org, arch@freebsd.org, Oleksandr Tymoshenko <gonzo@bluezbox.com>
Subject:   Re: [RFC] sema_wait_sig

Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> According to this post I shouldn't touch anything that has to do with any
> SMP stuff until you complete your upcoming work because it will all be
> turned upside down.
>
> This is not what people should think about FreeBSD, it will drive
> developers away.
>
> Heck, I'm scared now to even write anything.
>
> -Alfred

Logical fallacy is fallacious.

I've seen several people jump from "I'm getting pushback on foo" to
"nothing at all can be done" recently.  It's bogus reasoning.

My view is that the project is no longer in its infancy, where quick
and sometimes arbitrary changes could be made.  That may have scaled
early on -- but now we have hundreds of developers, thousands of
contributors, and bazillions of users.  Now we need consensus and buy-in
and roadmaps.

Next, rather than compare who has done how much hard work and when
(and you both have), Attilio has been doing a lot of work on locking
over the past few years.  If he (and possibly the people who have been
looking over his shoulder) have a view on how we should move forward,
I think they have earned the right to state it.

Finally, IMHO, hyperbole can turn off developers too.

mcl