Date:      Mon, 23 Jul 2001 13:03:44 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        Jason <jason@borderpatrolclan.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: disk full error???

Jason wrote:
> When I try to send e-mail I get a disk full error. If I go to my server
> and do a df I get the following:

> Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> /dev/ad0s1a     49583    48145    -2528   106%    /
> /dev/ad0s1e  38409661   500565 34836324     1%    /usr
> procfs              4        4        0   100%    /proc

Try "du -h /" it will tell you which directories are using how many
bytes of space.
First off, your / partition is small. I recommend at least 100M for
/.
Secondly, you have no /var partition, that means that spool files,
temp file, etc are probably being written /. This will fill up 50M
very quickly.
If you don't want to reinstall and repartition your HDD (which is what
you really should do here) you can create directories in /usr and symlink
them to the required directories in / (since /usr has pleny of free
space)
The directories that you'll want to do this with are /var and /tmp.
Create a /usr/var and /usr/tmp and then create symlinks to /var, /tmp.
See the following man page for more information:
man link
man hier

Hope this helps,
-Bill

--
It may be that true happiness is nothing more than the ability to *always*
know the right thing to say at the right time,  whereas true misery is the