Date:      Tue, 20 Apr 1999 10:55:23 -0400 (EDT)
From:      David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>
To:        "Harry M. Leitzell" <Harry_M_Leitzell@cmu.edu>
Cc:        "Frederick J Polsky v1.0" <fred@fredbox.com>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: poink attack (was Re: ARP problem in Windows9X/NT)

>>>>> "Harry" == Harry M Leitzell <Harry_M_Leitzell@cmu.edu> writes:

Harry> 	It also hits college campuses, which are a haven for
Harry> misconfigured Linux machines that provide easy quick root
Harry> access on the Local network.  Not to say that CMU has this
Harry> problem or anything like that.

Not this discussion 'should' be about what 'should' be, but wouldn't
it make sense to have the DHCP server be the 'athority' by which
hardware addresses are resolved?  I suppose there's little security
built into that protocol, too.  We recently went to implement it for a
customer and were somewhat taken aback by what could happen if someone
managed to just 'connect' a laptop to the network who wasn't supposed
to.

Dave.