Date:      Tue, 08 Jul 2008 17:35:09 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        David Allen <the.real.david.allen@gmail.com>
Cc:        Mel <fbsd.questions@rachie.is-a-geek.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Jails and IP Aliasing

--------------enig3FBED74684C6CAB552A53A4E

David Allen wrote:
=20
> There was a post recently (Matthew Seaman's name comes to mind) that
> suggested binding jails to addresses in the loopback range and then
> using firewall rules to redirect the traffic accordingly.  There's a
> possibility that may help in this case, but that layer of added
> complexity isn't much of an improvement over seeing connections with
> seemingly identical endpoints and interpreting the results in my head.

Guilty as charged M'lud.

However what I recommended was a more-than-slightly hacky way to achieve =

three things:

   * Something like a loopback address inside the jail.  It may be
     127.0.0.2 instead of 127.0.0.1 but most software can be persuaded
     to use it for loopback style things.

   * The ability to map several IPs onto the jailed system by use of
     NAT and redirect within firewall rules

   * The ability to have a jail with /no/ external IP for when the
     paranoia becomes unbearable[*].

Of course, all this will be immediately obsoleted by Marco Zec's work
on virtualizing the IP stack.  http://imunes.tel.fer.hr/virtnet/

	Cheers,

	Matthew

[*] Combine this with a Hardware Load Balancer that does Direct Server
Return and you can have a publicly accessible jailed server with /no=20
external IP address/. =20

--=20
                                                  Flat 3
                                                  Kent, CT11 9PW