Date:      Thu, 16 Aug 2001 10:24:32 +0200
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        Danny Braniss <danny@cs.huji.ac.il>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: help needed, kernel autoconf gets stuck

On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 11:19:57AM +0300, Danny Braniss wrote:
> hi,
> 	i posted this yesterday, but no one bit, so here we go again:
>
>  adding 'snd_ich_load="YES"' will cause the kernel autoconf to hang (sometimes)
>  after isa_probe_children(...) and before configure_final(...)
>
>  when it doesn't get stuck, all systems work fine, X11/sound etc.
>
> so i narrowed it down, my guess it's an unexpected/unwanted interrupt.
>
> now i'm stuck too, since i have no idea how to figure out who/why is
> interrupting.
>
> thanks,
> 	danny

Aha! This is what I've been seeing too - although I didn't realize it
was the sound subsystem, because I compiled pcm into the kernel.
It's not a guaranteed hang however, sometimes the kernel boots, sometimes
it doesn't. It gets stuck more consistently when using boot -v however.

I can confirm this wasn't the case in my 4.3 kernel, but that's probably
because the ICH sound driver wasn't activated back then.

What motherboard do you have? I have an Intel i815e (Dell Optiplex G115).

Would opening a PR help?

--Stijn

--
Tact, n.:
	The unsaid part of what you're thinking.