Date:      Sun, 09 May 1999 00:30:12 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS question..

On 09-May-99 Gavan McCormack wrote:

> John Baldwin wrote:
>> You can give a list of directories to be exported, but all directories for a
>> /usr \
>> All of these directories are in the filesystem /usr, and the computer foo
>> can
>> only mount /usr, /usr/source/src, /usr/obj, /usr/source/ports, and
>
> So what you are saying then, is that I am right in assuming that FreeBSD
> cannot
> export (in your case) anything under /usr, without /usr itself.

No, I just happen to export my /usr.  On a server at work, I have a /usr
filesystem and only export /usr/X11R6 amd /usr/local from it.  You just list
all the directories you want to export.  :)

> Sorry if I sound terse, but I do realise that I can list specific dirs under
> a filesystem to export if I do export the entire filesystem. My issue is that
> I dont want to export the root of the filesystem (/, in my case) to the
> remote
> machine, just to have a directory underneath it exported. (/usr/home, in my
> case.)

No problem, was just making sure.

> I have been hearing around that NFSv3 is the only 'good' NFS, and so far no
> free Unixen have v3 implemented yet. I guess we will just have to wait.. :/
> For the record tho, the SYSV-ish NFSd on Linux can export individual
> directories
> however. (But has other problems too.)
>
>> On 08-May-99 Gavan McCormack wrote:
>> > According to my 4.4BSD SMM "...the kernel information is stored on a per
>> > local file system mount point and client host address basis and cannot
>> > refer to individiual directories within the local server filesystem."
>> > Has this been changed in FreeBSD 3.1-STABLE? Or do I have to live with
>> > only
>> > being able to export whole filesystems?
>
>> John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu> -- http://members.freedomnet.com/~jbaldwin/
> --
> Gavan A. McCormack - tetragon@cyber.com.au - tetragon@bitey.net
> Cybersource P/L. TCPIP network management & Unix system administration.

---

John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu> -- http://members.freedomnet.com/~jbaldwin/
PGP Key: http://members.freedomnet.com/~jbaldwin/pgpkey.asc
"Power Users Use the Power to Serve!"  -  http://www.freebsd.org