Date:      Sat, 16 Dec 1995 00:15:17 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        scott@statsci.com
Cc:        jacs@gnome.co.uk, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: package names

 * Not necessarily endorsing this, but it seems reasonable enough...
 *
 * The packages for the Debian/Linux distribution generally take the form of
 *
 *         NAME-ORIG_VERSION-DEBIAN_VERSION
 *
 * with the basic idea being that NAME is the package name (e.g. xv or
 * Xaw3d), ORIG_VERSION is the version as defined by the package (e.g. 3.10a
 * or 1.2a) and "DEBIAN_VERSION" is a sequence number for the package/port
 * files.  So, you would end up with a package called xv-3.10a-1 or
 * mtools-2.0.7-12 or whatever.  They probably specify the set of characters
 * that are legitimate for each of those fields in the package name, but I
 * don't remember what the conventions are, offhand.

We already have a rule, which basically states that the "version" part
should be integers separated by digits, with optional single alphabets
are also allowed too.

(The exception of this rule is the string "pl" for "patchlevel", which
is permitted when there is only one component in the version string
("foo-pl7" is ok, "bar-2.3pl7" should be changed to "bar-2.3.7")

 * I don't think it'd be good to be renaming the ports directories or not
 * every time the port is updated, so I wouldn't include the package version
 * in the directory name.  Could put it as a variable in the ports/Makefile
 * and include it in the package name generated by the Makefile?

The version numbers are never part of the ports directories, unless
the old versions are not overwritten because the new versions are
popular but unstable/incompatible (e.g., netscape2, tcl74), so don't
worry about that.

It is certainly possible to do something like this with the variable
"PKGNAME".

Hmm, what do people think?  Will the package directories look too
cluttered if we add this to every single package name?  (Of course,
we'll delete the original from the ftp site as soon as we build the
new one, but the names will be longer....)

Satoshi