Date:      Fri, 24 Jun 2005 14:50:46 +0200
From:      Stefan Walter <sw@gegenunendlich.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   EHCI: mtools stuck in state 'physrd' or panic

--tKW2IUtsqtDRztdT

Hi,

I just updated to this morning's RELENG_5 and thought I'd give USB 2.0 a
try to speed up data exchange with my USB sticks. The controller is
correctly identified, it seems:

ehci0: <VIA VT6202 USB 2.0 controller> mem 0xdbfdf700-0xdbfdf7ff irq 3 at d=
evice 16.3 on pci0

When plugging in a USB stick, it is correctly identified, too:

umass0: USB Flash Disk, rev 2.00/2.00, addr 2
da2 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
da2: < USB BAR 2.00> Removable Direct Access SCSI-2 device=20
da2: 40.000MB/s transfers
da2: 124MB (255744 512 byte sectors: 64H 32S/T 124C)

I can also list the content of the FAT filesystem with mtools' mdir
command. When trying to copy a file from the stick to a local filesystem,
however, mcopy is almost immediately stuck in state "physrd" (according to
top(1)) after copying a varying number of bytes (between 100 and 2200 KB
is what I've seen so far). I cannot kill the mtools process, but pulling
out the USB stick helps - it panics after a few times of doing that,
though.

I thought it might have to do with IRQ sharing first, but according to
"vmstat -i" and dmesg, ehci0 doesn't share its IRQ with anything else.

I know that the ehci(4) man page says the driver is not finished and quite
buggy, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't report a problem, right? ;)

Any ideas?

Stefan

--tKW2IUtsqtDRztdT

--tKW2IUtsqtDRztdT--