Date:      Mon, 1 Jul 2002 12:03:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Paul Marquis <pmarquis@pobox.com>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ports/40087: Specifying USE_GCC to "make clean" hangs

>Number:         40087
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       Specifying USE_GCC to "make clean" hangs
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
FreeBSD sboy.pmarquis.com 4.6-STABLE FreeBSD 4.6-STABLE #0: Tue Jun 25 21:43:42 EDT 2002     pmarquis@sboy.pmarquis.com:/usr/obj/home/src/sys/SBOY  i386

For any port, if one specifies USE_GCC to make clean and the version specified in USE_GCC is not the stock compiler version (that is, it requires building a port version of gcc), the make hangs, forking an infinite number of child make process.

I'm researching the porblem, but I figured somone with more experience with the port build system might be able to isolate it before I could.
>How-To-Repeat:
On a stable system, run the following (can be any port):

  # cd /usr/ports/devel/stlport && make clean USE_GCC=3.1