Date:      Sun, 11 Nov 2001 20:29:34 -0500
From:      John De Boskey <jwd@bsdwins.com>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        clefevre@citeweb.net, Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, Stable List <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: "disklabel -rw ar0 auto" breaks HPT raid0+1

----- Mike Smith's Original Message -----
> > Matthew Dillon wrote:
> > > There is a section near the end of the 'disklabel' manual page that
> > > describes how to partition a disk with a real slice entry instead of
> > > dangerously dedicated mode.
> >
> > are you talking about the "BUG" section ? it only say that disklabel
> > doesn't clobber the partition table. the problem is that it overwrite
> > the following 15 sectors w/ boot2 while the first 10 sectors are used
> > by the RAID hardware... do you see the problem. using fdisk, disklabel
> > writes it's boot informations starting at sector 64 since the first
> > half cylinder is reserved by fdisk. so, it doesn't clobber anything.
> > is this explanation more clear ?
>
> The region owned by the firmware should *not* be visible to applications
> opening the device.

   Thank you for stating the problem so succinctly. For the HPT
controller, ata-raid.c reserves 10 blocks at the head of the
physical raid and 10 blocks on all disks following the 1st. I
want to put some trace code in to determine where disklabel
is physically writing on the disk(s).

   I will also create a real slice entry tommorrow to determine
if that avoids the problem.

-John