Date:      Fri, 9 Jul 2004 11:38:14 +0900
From:      Pyun YongHyeon <yongari@kt-is.co.kr>
To:        Peter Grehan <grehan@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ofw console change breaks powerpc

On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 01:01:44AM +1000, Peter Grehan wrote:
 > Hi,
 >
 >  I've just tried the OpenFirmware console on FreeBSD/PPC after
 > a long stint of using syscons.
 >
 >  The recent change seemed to break things, specifically the line:
 >
 >  		ttychars(tp);
 >  		tp->t_iflag = TTYDEF_IFLAG;
 >  		tp->t_oflag = TTYDEF_OFLAG;
 > -		tp->t_cflag = TTYDEF_CFLAG|CLOCAL;
 > +		tp->t_cflag = TTYDEF_CFLAG;
 >  		tp->t_lflag = TTYDEF_LFLAG;
 >  		tp->t_ispeed = tp->t_ospeed = TTYDEF_SPEED;
 >  		ttsetwater(tp);
 >
 >  By not having CLOCAL set, TS_CONNECTED doesn't get set on open,
 > and the first write() syscall by sh blocks because the tty subsystem
 > wants to wait for modem signals to bring the line up.
 >
 >  Now, I have no idea why this works on sparc64, but I don't think
 > it would be an issue if it were re-introduced. Anyone want to try
 > it out ? I don't have any sparc h/w to test it on.

Yes, it works here with CLOCAL(Ultra2, type-5 keyboard).
With OFWCONS_POLL_HZ=20 and TERM=sun I get almost working console.

However, ofw console is still too slow to work on.(IMO) I tried
syscons + creator to get more speed by hardware acceleration.
To build that kernel, I had to add <sys/modules.h> to source files.
(I guess it was both sys/dev/fb/creator.c and
sys/sparc64/creator/creator_upa.c) After really fast booting
message scrolls and login prompt, the machine locked up. :(

 > later,
 >
 > Peter.

Regards,
Pyun YongHyeon