Date:      Thu, 21 Jun 2001 19:30:49 -0400
From:      "David A. Panariti" <davep@who.net>
To:        Valentin Nechayev <netch@iv.nn.kiev.ua>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Staying *really stable* in FreeBSD

>>>>> "Valentin" == Valentin Nechayev <netch@iv.nn.kiev.ua> writes:

Laziness is compatible with anything when it means not doing any
unnecessary work.
It is not a matter of knowing it needs changing, it is a matter of
changing it.  Any time a procedure and be automated, it should be.  It
should be one's choice whether or not to use the automation, however.
That's why I suggest a new tag rather than redefining an existing
one.

Why should I:
1) su to root
2) co -l supfile
3) edit supfile (correctly. Small chance of a typo, but non-zero vs 0% when
*not* editing the file)
4) ci -u supfile

when I can do: nothing.  This is easier, and less prone to mistakes.

Given these two lists, Occam's razor would, I think, select the zero
length list as the simpler one.

Regards,

davep

Valentin>  Thu, Jun 21, 2001 at 16:20:15, davep (David A. Panariti)
Valentin> wrote about "Re: Staying *really stable* in FreeBSD":
>> How about adding another tag that always refers to the latest
>> RELENG_x_y.
>>
>> Then we (paranoid and lazy types) can just cvsup that tag without
>> needing to change from RELENG_X_Y to RELENG_X_Y+1 and RELENG_X+1_0.

Valentin> Paranoia is hardly compatible with laziness.  To upgrade
Valentin> RELENG_4_3 to RELENG_4_3 you must know that previous version
Valentin> is now danger. Hence you read at least announce@.  If you
Valentin> read announce@ you can know that new release is published.
Valentin> Hence, you know that tag should be changed and you have to
Valentin> prepare for possible problems.

Valentin> Cut it with Occam's knife.

Valentin> /netch

--
"I never fail to convince an audience that the best thing they could do
was to go away."