Date:      Thu, 14 Dec 2000 15:07:25 -0500 (EST)
From:      Darren Henderson <darren@bmv.state.me.us>
To:        Gordon Tetlow <gordont@bluemtn.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: securelevel and /etc/rc in 4.2S

On Thu, 14 Dec 2000, Gordon Tetlow wrote:

> > Also, wouldn't it  make more sense for /etc/defaults/rc.conf to at least set
> > "YES" and 0?
>
> Unless I'm missing something, "YES" and 0 is the same as "NO" and -1.

If I rely on the values in /etc/defaults/rc.conf ("NO" and -1) and boot one
of the machines and then check sysctl it reports -1. I had assumed it would
come up and go to level 0 at least in that case as you mention but in my
installations it doesnt seem to be true. Part of what prompted me to write.

Perhpas my installations are atypical for some reason or the value reported
by sysctl is incorrect.

An out of the blocks instillation should go to 0 or 1 I would think and if
someone wants to run lower or higher they should do it by choice. I haven't
looked but I'm assuming the values in /etc/rc.conf after the install are
coming about as a result of the security prompt that occurs during the
install, which is fine.

Rereading man init I see that we dont go to multiuser until after rc
completes so the placement question is rather moot.

I'm unclear on init's statement regarding raising from 0 to 1 however, that
must take place after rc finishes. Which rather implies to me that to run at
0 you have to do it after init completes (since it will raise 0 to 1, -1
won't be raised to 0 and you cant go from 1+ back to 0).

This brings me back to /etc/defaults/rc.conf. Just seems like it would be a
lot more reasonable to have the relevant values set to "YES" and 0 given the
observed behavior with "NO" and -1 (ie running at -1).