Date:      Tue, 18 Sep 2001 06:55:33 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        BSD Freak <bsd-freak@mbox.com.au>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 5.0 - CURRENT

On Sunday, 16 September 2001 at 20:37:51 -0700, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 17, 2001 at 02:08:01PM +1100, BSD Freak wrote:
>> Hi Everyone,
>>
>> Does I have all the FreeBSD-RELEASE CD's ISO's etc...  What is the best
>> way to get a machine running FreeBSD 5.0 - CURRENT.
>>
>> As far as I have seen there are no ISO available for download, only
>> the source.

Correct.  This is a feature, not a bug.  How much data would you need
to transfer to rebuild your system daily if you imported it as an ISO?

>> Is there a way to upgrade a 4.3 machine to 5.0 - CURRENT or do I have
>> to compile the binaries and run a 5.0 installation.
>>
>> Does this have anything to do with make world?

Yes.  That's the answer.

>> It would be great if someone could steer me into the right direction...
>
> Basically, if you can't figure out how to upgrade to -current on your
> own, you shouldn't be running it.  FreeBSD-CURRENT is for experienced
> developers only; there are sharp edges, at any given moment some
> things may not work, and you need to know how to recover from crashes
> and catastrophic failures on your own without relying on technical
> support.

To add to this, if you're running -CURRENT, you should be subscribed
to the FreeBSD-current mailing list.  Ask questions there, but do your
homework first.

Greg