Date:      Tue, 31 Jul 2007 10:23:42 +0000 (UTC)
From:      "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net>
To:        Antony Mawer <fbsd-net@mawer.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, Isaac Kohen <ik1024@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: IPSEC connection drops and doesn't recover

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007, Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Jul 2007, Antony Mawer wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> On 31/07/2007 10:52 AM, Isaac Kohen wrote:
>>> I'm running 6.2-REL. My kernel is compiled with IPSEC, IPSEC_ESP, and
>>> IPSEC_DEBUG. I've installed ipsec-tools 0.6.7.
>>>
>>> I've had an openbsd ipsec/vpn gateway for several years that recently died
>>> as a result of hardware failure. I moved my configuration from isakmpd to
>>> racoon
>>> and can connect successfully to all the linksys vpn "routers" that I could
>>> connect to before. Problem is that after a few hours the connection drops
>>> and doesn't come back up until I do setkey -F and setkey -FP and restart
>>> racoon. My openbsd/isakmpd setup worked very well so I'm guessing it's not
>>> those cheap linksys boxes.
>>>
>>> I thought it was racoon at first, so I installed and ran isakmpd on
>>> freebsd
>>> using my isakmpd.conf from the openbsd box that I knew worked, but the
>>> same
>>> problem persisted.
>>
>> Another "me too" -- we have been running an IPSEC link between FreeBSD
>> 6.2-RELEASE gateway and a Billion 7404VGO VPN router. The VPN link itself
>> operates fine, but frequently the connection drops and we have to go
>> through a song-and-dance of restarting racoon, the VPN router, etc trying
>> to get it back up and running.
>>
>> I haven't got around to tracking down the exact sequence necessary to bring
>> it back up and running, but eventually after restarting everything we
>> manage to get things operating again (until the next time).
>>
>> I will try and find some more details when I get the opportunity...
>

> The situation might change if you do a:
> 	sysctl net.key.preferred_oldsa=0

My colleague just told me that I wrote =0.

Most of the cheap appliances for some reason seem to require =1 which,
of course leads to trouble, if one side reboots for example.

--
Bjoern A. Zeeb                                 bzeeb at Zabbadoz dot NeT
Software is harder than hardware  so better get it right the first time.